print page

Health insurance

If you intend to live in Germany, you need to take out a local health insurance policy.

If you are from the European Union and already possess an EU-Health Chip Card, you are sufficiently insured already.
If neither is the case, you have two options. You can acquire an insurance plan from a public health insurance or from a private health insurance company. We advise you to choose a public insurance company, since all of these are recognized by the immigration authorities. However, if you are not enrolled or older than 30 years, a private health insurance policy can be a less expensive option.

A travel health insurance policy is recommended for your journey to Germany. Important: the immigration authorities only accept insurance plans covering pregnancy, dental prostheses, and psychotherapy with no cost-limit. The insurance plan has to be available in the German language.

Medical insurance companies worth considering:

  • Techniker Krankenkasse, Liebigstraße 14, 35390 Gießen (Mon-Wed, Fri 8.00-16.00, Thurs 8.00-17.00)
  • Barmer GEK, Bahnhofstraße 82-86, 35390 Gießen (Mon- Wed 8.00-17.00, Thurs, 18.00, Fri 16.00)
  • AOK, Gartenstraße 10, 35390 Gießen (Mon- Wed, Fri 8.30-16.30, Thurs 8.30-18.00, Sat 9.00-13.00)